Tuesday, August 19, 2008

All hail the Egg and life in the "fast lane"

Okay. Today I went to the DMV to get CA plates for the Egg. B had to go to work so I drove him and did laundry, blah, blah...At 1pm I left to go to the DMV. This by the way is the 4th time I have been there since we moved. In Tennessee DMV dealings are very easy-first it is located in the mall so you can get a drivers license, buy some underwear and have a get a slice from Sbarro.
Not so for California.
I had an appointment but I had to take the TN plate off and surrender it so I could get new plates.
The plate screws are a little bit stripped is an understatement.
I am not kidding when I say I was using my whole body trying to get it off- I am sweating, I cut my thumb and last night I pulled my neck so there is a pinch making me curse every time I tried to lefty loosey. I looked across the parking lot and saw a 20ish guy, so I said, "Excuse me can you help me get my license plate off my car?" The dude replied, "No, I promised my girlfriend I wouldn't."
WHAT??
Was I speaking some kind of sex code? I mean I am sure I looked pretty good with my brown teeshirt and over sized black shorts and let us not forget my bleeding thumb and sweat pouring down my neck.
Thanks dick. I decided to see if I could still get the plates anyway.
I went to window 13 and spoke to my new best friend Richie. He saw my sweaty face, filthy hands and said he would give me the plates, but I had to turn in my TN plate by 4pm.
Another DMV worker and said there was a Pep Boys at the circle and they would probably help me. I set off...
I wanted some music to calm my nerves and I kid you not three channels on the radio were playing "Life in the Fast Lane" by the Eagles. Wasn't that song popular 30 years ago? I am not a hater of the Eagles, but I would have settled for Kansas, Boston, Journey, hell I would have settled for an early Aerosmith or Linkin Park. Alas, Eagles took me to the Pep Boys-the guys were busy. So I set off to the Goodyear nearby.
Dave gave me faith in humanity again.
He took off the plate and put offered to put the new ones on... Thanks Dave.

1 comment:

John Pippen said...

OMG I found you!!!! Dude I love this story. I laughed out loud, for reals.

Are you coming to AMS?