Friday, April 23, 2010

And all the girls say, I'm pretty fly...


Identity. How does one identify? Culturally? Ethnicity? Geographically? Sexual Orientation? Nationally? Common interests?
I am female, a musician, a budding academic and Californian. Half of my family is Canadian and I have a DIY ethic. Where do I fit in?
Or do I have to fit in? Is my absence of identity, my actual identity? Is this too postmodern? Is this post-post modern thought? Not belonging is in fact belonging? I can ask many rhetorical questions. But an answer would be a way to get off this möbius strip.

2 comments:

Amy P. said...

So, one of my favorite topics to philozophize and theorize is the formation of identity and identity politics (as well as the politics of identity which I condsider differnt then identity politics). I will say, the way I see it, the absence of identity is an identity, but can also be efficacious. The claiming of an identity, even briefly, can also be efficacious. Ever read any Judith Butler (Judy B.) and what she has to say about identity? It's some interesting stuff. I often question my own identity.

To fuck with myself even more, having a non-normative gender performance that neither fits into male or female catagories really fucks with my sense of identity as well (as well as those around you whom feel the need to identify [label] you so they can have a sense of normalcy).

This is one of my FAVORITE topics, for serious. So, longer conversation later...perhaps?

Jodi D. said...

This is one of my favorite topics too. Although, I tend to think it goes nowhere.