Monday, April 23, 2012

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto

I want to paint. Not fine art, but stuff. My buddy J.D. made me a bookcase in 1990. It sat on the north wall of my bedroom, underneath my poster of Siouxsie, in my mom's house and displayed my lava lamp, weird pink electroball, and this psychedelic trip-out light that would spin around when it got hot. Yeah, I did a little shopping at Spencer's gifts in my youth. So what!?! Anyway, I was going to get rid of it because in all those years I have never done anything to it. It is bare wood and I have never been into painting, so...
I have decided that I am going to clean it up (it has spent some quality time outside) and paint it. I am also going to paint this window that was left in our garage. I think it will look neat hanging on the wall. The husbando is going to give me until the end of summer to complete this project and then they go. I think that is fair. If I cannot get it together they will be left in the alley where somebody will take it within an hour.
On a totally different subject. Why hasn't the music of Styx been adapted for a musical? First off, their music is amazing. I know that Denis DeYoung does musical theater now and with the popularity of Glee and rock music in musicals it seems like a no brainer. I saw "American Idiot," and I thought it was great.
The construction of many Styx songs sounds like it could be performed on stage. The set could be Anytown, USA. The story is about a girl and boy; girl loves boy and boy is gonna "make it big." The first big number could be "Lady," professing his love to his girl. "Blue Collar Man," telling his buddies that he wants to make it big. When he gets sucked into the whole fame thing, "Come Sail Away" would definitely be the finale to the first act. "Babe, " would be his lament about losing girl. "Renegade" could be when he is at his lowest low. Then the finale could be "Show Me the Way." I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this, I swear.

2 comments:

Anika said...

It does seem strange now that you mention it. Perhaps you forget about painting and direct your energy towards producing a Broadway show. (I'm only half kidding by the way.)

Unknown said...

Let's do this Styx thing. C'mon!!!