Thursday, January 14, 2016

Under the moonlight, this serious moonlight...

David Bowie, I love your latest recording. I have not been able to listen to it since I heard you died, because I am afraid I will cry.
All week I have  read famous and non-famous people's reactions to your passing. I wanted to write something, but I couldn't start it until today.
I am so happy I had the opportunity to see you perform three times. Each time was amazing and I  think that the Glass Spider tour was my favorite. Though Serious Moonlight was my first big concert and Sound and Vision was my favorite set list (and Adrian Belew), the Glass Spider tour had all the theatrics. And Peter Frampton! 

Your music has been woven so deep in my sonic fabric that I am afraid that my entire soundtrack blanket will be unraveled, with all that is left in a heap on the floor. 
A friend of mine was super into Bowie in 8th grade. She bought a book that had about 350 pictures of him and we spent an entire night, cutting up the book and putting the photos on her walls. She also introduced me to the deeper cuts and not-so-commercial albums. She had an import of "Pin Ups," which is an album of all covers. She also had like 6 different versions of "V-2 Schneider."
I think that whole summer was David Bowie.

When I decided to move to San Francisco, I remember listening to the German version of "Heroes," 
I think that "Heroes," is probably my favorite of his...mmm, well I really like "Absolute Beginners" too.

I dragged my friend to go see the movie "Absolute Beginners." Yes, it is not a great movie, I remember looking over at my friend about half way through the movie and she was squeezing and poking at her hand.  The soundtrack is really good though and David Bowie is one of the best parts of the movie. I mean the lyrics are so good in the title song----


I've nothing much to offer
There's nothing much to take
I'm an absolute beginner
But I'm absolutely sane
As long as we're together
The rest can go to hell
I absolutely love you
But we're absolute beginners
With eyes completely open
But nervous all the same

Then there is "Panic in Detroit," "Ricochet," "Fame," "Rock and Roll Suicide," "Starman," "Aladin Sane----OHHH Aladin Sane! That whole record is rad! 
What about the band Tin Machine? They rocked!

Thinking about the song "Starman," it starts on IV and the chorus is the only part that begins on the tonic. There is reverb on the vocals and open position chords to create the "in space," feeling. The instrumentation is reminiscent of "Space Oddity," but still its own thing. 
Speaking of "Space Oddity," David Bowie used a Stylophone. I mean c'mon! There are 15 (I think) different chords used and in 5 minutes there is an intro, two verses, two bridges, two- four bar acoustic guitar breaks and the "lift off," portion, which sounds kind of like the crazy crescendo  part in the Beatles' "Day in the Life." And the song still is able to have a sense of quiet and repose.
Can't forget songs from his later albums "Afraid," from the album "Heathen," is amazing and he does a really good Pixies cover of "Cactus."
Really, I could go on and on about all the amazing music he wrote, how he was a decent actor, and seemed like a decent person, but I won't.

David Bowie was so much to so many people that I will just say this...
Let's dance!
Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Modern Love is the happiest dance party number, ever.