Tuesday, September 4, 2018

All the people in the dance will agree - that we're well qualified to represent the LBC

When I was in Junior High my mom and stepdad bought a house in Long Beach, California.
They put it on the market a couple of weeks ago. They lived the house for over 30 years. 
I moved away from Long Beach when I was 20 and came back a life time later and lived back in the LBC for 7 years and then left about 3 1/2 years ago.
I never totally felt at home living there when I came back, but the home that my parents lived in always had a familiarity that I found comfort in.
When I was in high school, my grandmother (#greatestpersonever) moved in with us. And when I was in my 20s she passed away in that house. 
I spent every Christmas (except one) there. My friends threw my wedding shower at that house. A group of us stayed there when we went to our 10 year high school reunion.
It is strange because I am not sentimental about the house, per se, but just about certain things about the house.
The carpet in the family room. The view from the front bedroom. The double vanity in the bathroom.
Driving in the neighborhood.
There are only a handful of friends left in Long Beach that I would see when I came to visit. It will be strange when I go back to visit them, because I won't stay at mom's house. Pretty sure that will be super weird the first time I go back.

No comments: