Thursday, December 27, 2012

Learn to love me... Assemble the ways.. Now, today, tomorrow and always

-->
Whew! The holidays are over. Having a baby has changed the dynamic for celebrating the Yuletide cheer-for the better. It is all about her.

I have an interesting relationship with some of my relatives. They have no idea who I am or what I have done for the past twenty plus years.

I have actively been playing in bands since 1987. In that time I have written at least 100 songs, recorded with bands/solo, been in two musical productions, played over 1,000 shows, and toured the US a couple of times. Granted I am not a member of the Dave Mathews Band, but being a musician is part of who I am. And in 2010, I received my master’s degree in music history to boot! So when there are gestures that are completely oblivious to the fact that I know how to play instruments or know anything about music. I have to laugh and say things like- “Yeah, I know, I have played guitar for twenty five years,” or my favorite “Her (my daughter) parents are both musicians, you know?”

Okay, I am not super duper close to these people, but the small talk at these functions either there is no effort to find out how I am doing or if there is an acknowledgment it is usually negative. One of my favorites from about 8 years ago was, “I don’t know why you still waste your time playing, it seems like a waste of time.” A classic!

At least now, they don’t have to pretend to give a crap about me, because it IS and SHOULD be all about the baby. I want her to play instruments so bad. I hope that if she does decide to be a musician they will recognize her passion for it. I wasn’t going to post this, but fuck it they are not gonna read it anyway.

The picture is a painting that is on one of those boxes that control the stop lights. It is on my way home from work and when I was pregnant I walked by it everyday.

No comments: