Monday, January 27, 2014

Time has told me, you’re a rare, rare find a troubled cure, for a troubled mind...

I have rediscovered Nick Drake. Though I did not jump on the N-Drake bandwagon when the Volkswagen commercial came out (it was about 3 months earlier when I got into Jeff Buckley) I did go through a definite "malaise faze," whilst listening to him.
I think that downtown Long Beach is kind of like a Nick Drake song. There is an under current of complexity and a celebration of being flawed. I like downtown LB in the morning. I ride my bike to work and I like the view I get of it waking up. There is the food line at the Baptist church, people walking their dogs, folks changing into work clothes at the bike station (oops, that is me), and the clean Long Beach people power washing the sidewalks on Promenade. Ol' Drakey makes for a nice soundtrack.
On a completely different note, I think that I have been out of grad school long enough. I am going to read a book every other week. I will make sure that they are all NOT non-fiction, or library related.
Any suggestions for good fiction? Mysteries in particular.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read both Carrie Diaries books... so cute. xo Jodi

Andrea said...

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks is great. Kind of a mystery, but not a murder-mystery.

Also, my guilty pleasure is anything written by Dan Brown. All his books have adult-themed Scooby-doo endings ("...and I would have released the toxin if it weren't for that clever symbologist.")